Life in Omaha (in Scottsdale)

daily existence away from chicago

Blogroll Me!

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Cell Phones

We're breaking down and buying a cell phone. Another small part of my world colonized. And in just the few hours we've spent on researching said phone has nearly convinced/frightened me into abandoning the project. The only thing that makes my health insurance less complex is that I have no real choice in the matter. I think we spent less time figuring out our taxes. (Are cell phones deductible if I call another professor and complain about work?) We are going with Virgin Mobile because, sadly, they are the hippest company and as I man about ready to become a father, I'm clinging desperately to anything that makes me seem a bit cooler.

I noticed the Michael Berube regularly posts the results of his weekly hockey game on his blog. Now, my ego is nowhere near as large as Berube's (though to be fair, he was an incredibly nice guy when I met him and had dinner with him (apologies for the gratuitous name dropping (actually, apologies for the whole self-centered phenomenon of this blog and for perpetuating the whole bloggin' nonesense))), but I feel his indulgence opens the door for me...

Our indoor soccer team got whipped last night to the point where I won't bother with the score. And we played against a pick-up team. I probably had one semi-decent quarter, but I do feel like Matt Clement out there. If I don't play above my head (well above my head) we won't win. Generally, I fail to be a better man than I am. The truth is, we don't really have a team, period. In the two years I've been with RGD, we only retain four of the original team I joined. Last night, we were able to field four players period. We picked up four other guys -- all offense, of course -- and that has been our MO for the whole session. In terms that mean anything to me, we have no organized defense. 2/3rds of the points scored last night were on 2 v 1, 3 v 2 and 2 v 0. And then there was the three pointer over my head while I was out somewhere near midfield playing offense. I slept until 9:00am this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here