Life in Omaha (in Scottsdale)

daily existence away from chicago

Blogroll Me!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Burton Barr Library--North Face


Burton Barr Library--North Face
Originally uploaded by shermans.

I've been on an architectural tear the last few weeks. The Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art has been producing a series of lectures on the city with Linda Hirshman (prof of philosophy and law), Nan Ellin (prof of Urban Design) and Will Bruder (famous modern architect guy). Plus, we travelled down to Oracle to see Biosphere 2 before it bites the dust at the hands of a developer. And Ciela and I finally wandered over to Cosanti, Paolo Solari's home in Paradise Valley. Last week I went out to Taliesin West, Frank Lloyd Wright's studio, to hear Solari speak. I'm hip deep in the world of urban renewal in Phoenix and the visionary plans of people like Solari, Bruder and Wright. Interestingly, all this is happening as we get ready to move from our soul killing apartment into our new townhome. The angst I felt at selecting a new home has become that much more taut as I view these remarkable designs for what the city could be. Like opposing toggle bolts stretching a canvas over the landscape, the fabric of my life is hovering in a scary but graceful tension.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here