Life in Omaha (in Scottsdale)

daily existence away from chicago

Blogroll Me!

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Excerpt from an email to a student

But isn't saying that companies are merely trying to satisfy consumer demand simplifying the issue. Marketing has relied and always will rely on creating demand so that companies can then satisfy that demand. Hell, that's what fashion and style are primarily all about. If I eliminate style, then indeed there would be far fewer brands, far fewer purchases, and far fewer walk-in closets. I have a dream of all those racks and drawers and useless spaces being converted into art studios, darkrooms, music studios, and oh, dare I dream it, libraries. And malls converted to small liberal arts colleges, or continuing learning centers, the contemporary agora, depleted of Abercrombie and Fitch and Gap and Structure and Vault and Crap and Thread, storefronts replete with writing groups, book clubs, philosophical debates, whittling and song. And Wal-Marts refashioned as....well we should just destroy all the Wal-Marts. They really aren't good for anything.

2 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger jo(e) said...

Sometimes, Scott, I just have to agree with you.

And that is so much better than the emails I write to my students. My emails tend to say things like, "You do know that you are going to fail this course if you don't hand that paper in my Thanksgiving, right?"

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Not Scott said...

To tell the truth, the emails are mostly a procrastinating technique to avoid grading. I should be telling them to hand in papers or risk failure. Instead, I'm writing my good students about things not entirely relevant to the lessons at hand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here