Life in Omaha (in Scottsdale)

daily existence away from chicago

Blogroll Me!

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Recent postings

Odd, but in the last few days, a number of people have left anonymous messages to "A Black Day." So I've been thinking about why they are all anonymous.

One: most people who would read this are friends and relatives who really just want to see pictures of Ciela, so they don't have blogger ids and don't feel compelled to leave their names. But then again, they are probably annoyed that there are no new pictures and wouldn't bother posting on other matters. Just leave in disgust.

Two: These are students and would feel awkward saying these things to my face. And to be fair to them, I hold all the cards in the classroom. So if they want to take potshots (at least intellectual potshots) at me from behind a mask, fair play to them.

Three: Most of the postings seem very intellectual and educated (beyond the typical undergraduate level) so they are probably people who are friends but who just forget to leave a name behind. See especially those posts supporting my views.

It's one of the odd things about blogging--that people will care enough about my opinion to write, but not enough to let me know who they are.

5 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Blogger jo(e) said...

I’m the person who has been posting things anonymously. I don’t have a blog of my own – I like to surf blogs at random when I have time – and it’s just easier to hit the anonymous button than to fill out all the stuff your site asks for. I’m always in a hurry, which explains all the typos in my posts.

Posting as “anonymous” was working out fine until someone else started using the same name. I didn’t write the post about the carpet baggers or the rant about how evil liberals are. But yeah, I’m the person who wrote the anonymous posts during the language police discussion. I guess I assumed that you would know who I was. I figured you would recognize my accent.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Not Scott said...

I have a pretty good guess--Everyone Sounds Funny when they write with an accent. It's amazing how long a trail the internet leaves.

I hope the weather is good up in those blue states in the northeast, jo(e).

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger jo(e) said...

Clever. I knew you'd figure it out.

I only surf blogs when I've got papers to grade so today I'm heading to the woods for a hike. We've got several inches of snow on the ground.

The snow is beautiful but the mood here in the northeast is still pretty blue. I think we've got a long winter ahead.

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, You should realize that you have friends on the right as well as friends on the left. Posting anonymously allows the writer (ie: me) a free expression of ideas without your preconceived notions of me. (You have them whether you think you do or not. It's human nature.) Plus, I can be critical of you without hurting your feelings or at least thats the way I see it. - Tater Salad

PS: You still can't have your country back...

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got friends on the right!?!?!?! I'm sorry, but I must discontinue our association.

Nanny Mouse

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here